We live in a technology-filled, over-scheduled world where people (including myself) are uber focused on the #hustle, getting things done, and being successful.
I’ve learned over the past few years, though, that being a successful person doesn’t mean much if you don’t love (really love) and care for yourself as a person. I’m not just talking about foot massages and bubble baths to help you relax and put yourself first (though, those count, too!) – I’m talking about the deep, raw love each and every one of us needs to have for our own spirits.
It’s important. It’s hard, but if we don’t love ourselves, how can we truly experience unconditional and whole love for anyone or anything else? There’s a reason the airline speech tells you to put your mask on before helping other people – you, my friend, are the center of your world. Without taking care of and loving you, you cannot reach your full potential when it comes to anything you do outside of you.
If that’s not reason enough to practice self-love, here’s 10 more for good measure!
- Self-love can help you overcome that self-sabotaging thing many of us have mastered: procrastinating . Next time you have something you should be doing and find yourself binge-watching Once Upon a Time instead (guilty), hit up Pinterest for some self-love affirmations and get back to your to-do list. You can do the thing, beautiful soul.
- I’m one of those people who believes that our thoughts and words reflect our reality, so life isn’t hard…but some situations in life can be more difficult than others. Moving, divorce, financial stress, etc. are all difficult life situations we all have to deal with from time to time. Positive self-talk, compassion, and self-love can help you get through periods like these much more easily than self-doubt and criticism.
- There are now scientific studies showing that people who practice self-love and self-compassion tend to be healthier than people who do not. Self-love, more than criticism, encourages us to eat healthier, quit bad habits, and pick up great, healthy habits such as yoga, running, or other forms of exercise.
- Love attracts love, and self-love is no different. When you love yourself, actively and passionately, not in a narcissistic fashion, you radiate a positive energy that not only attracts other people, but attracts other positive, confident, happy people. Wouldn’t it be nice to have more of those types in your life?
- You become your own best friend, and how useful is that when you really want to go see that new Marvel release but don’t have anyone to go with? Or, when you want to hit up the local coffee shop? When you are your own best friend, you don’t feel like you have to wait for company to get out and do things.
- Self-love helps you learn to trust yourself. When you trust yourself, you start making decisions based on your intuition and heart rather than logic, which means it’s easier for you to chase those scary dreams and take a few risks!
- Ready to look and feel younger? Self-love has a magical way of resulting in more energy, changing how you carry yourself, and bring more peace and happiness into your life (read: less worry lines, more glow).
- Self-love helps you to stand up for yourself. This was something I seriously struggled with until I started focusing more on self-love. When you love yourself, you’ll start setting boundaries for others and you’ll put up with much less. People treat you badly? When you love yourself, you begin to realize it and not stand for it.
- When you love yourself, you begin to feel more emotionally stable and secure inside, even when things are chaotic or feel out of whack. Few things feel better than the confidence that inner security brings.
- Self-love helps you grow. This is probably my favorite reason to practice self-love – when you love yourself, you develop habits, interests, hobbies, and daily practices that help you grow as a person. And, growing as a person leads to more life experiences, memories, and happiness!
So there you have it – 10 of my favorite reasons to make self-love a priority.
Want to get started on your self-love journey? Check out Wild Sister’s NEW printable Self-Love Affirmation Coloring Book + Journal! You can get it today for the release sale price of $5.55!
FTC DISCLOSURE: Wild Sister may receive monetary compensation for our endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this article. However, we only recommend products or services we have personally used and are in alignment with Wild Sister’s ideals. Wild Sister Magazine/Shai Bearden is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
All information on Wild Sister is meant for educational and informational purposes only. The statements on this website have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Products and/or information are not intended to diagnose, cure, treat, or prevent any disease. Readers are advised to do their own research and make decisions in partnership with their health care provider. If you are pregnant, nursing, have a medical condition or are taking any medication, please consult your physician.